Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Daily Monsterism #1


Daily Monsterism #1

Monster: Blanka
Movie: Street Fighter 2: The Animated Film (1994)

I don't think there was a single kid of my generation that didn't go crazy for Street Fighter, at least back in the early days. I remember picking this up at the local video store when Manga Entertainment (or whoever it was that distributed their gear here in Australia at the time) had obviously just started putting a lot of the big anime titles to VHS in the early 1990's -- Devil Man, Guyver, Legend of the Overfiend, Lensman, Castle of Cagliostro; that sort of stuff. Anyway, I see Street Fighter in amidst the new anime and grab it straight away. My mind was blown at how fucking amazing this thing was, but one of my favourite sequences was always the brief Zangief versus Blanka show (anyone who says the Vega/Chun Li fight isn't mindblowingly cool is wrong). Blanka's always been one of my favourite fighters, too, so this one goes out to him.

You rule Blanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment